It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:26 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Seriously?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:26 pm 

Don't know if anyone else saw the "Marietta CRUSH" trailer blocking the two handicapped parking spaces right beside the entry gates to the lower fields at lost Mountain today but there were no more handicapped spaces available when we entered @ 2 pm. The trailer was still there at 7:30 when I left. Tons of visitors from out of state passed by it. There's better ways to boost your org's name recognition than by occupying handicap spaces that could be used by grandparents or those with disabilities.

Attachments:
crush resized-800x600.jpg
crush resized-800x600.jpg [ 171.33 KiB | Viewed 3083 times ]

Post subject: Re: Seriously?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:32 pm 

I have seen some trailers taking up huge chunks of parking before but this takes the cake. Since when does being inconsiderate qualify as a handicap? If that was the case, most ball parks would have more blue parking spaces than normal spaces. These guys (or gals) are teaching their kids to only follow the rules that are convenient for you. Seems to be the American way these days, but I digress!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:18 pm 

I still laugh at teams that need a trailer. Seriously, players bring their gear, and coaches bring a few buckets of balls and some nets.

And notice you don't see Atlanta Vipers, EC Bullets or Georgia Impact trailers. It's usually the B- teams that think their big time by pulling in with their big rigs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:06 am 

Probably shouldn't have taken up 2 spaces but I know the coach and he is disabled and has a handicap sticker on the Jeep. He parks in handicap because of that, not to show off a trailer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:09 am 

Hey Chalkline
Not sure what team your with as it appears that you like so many others on this web site.
Are just hiding behind your name.
I have a trailer. Ga Impact stewart has a trailer and there are a few Viper trailers.
So I would say A teams have them as well.
I keep all my teams equipment in the trailer and with water gator aid etc. guess what my truck is imperfect condition why because I don’t have to put it in my car or truck. It takes me 5 min to hookup my trailer and go.
Now I agree what this team did was wrong and shame on tournament director for allowing him to stay there.

But here is the cool part see my screen name Ap18uheafcoach I don’t hide behind my screen name can you say the same Mr Chalkline.

Ron walling
Atlanta Priemer Walling

Sorry I just can’t stand folks who troll these boards.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:15 am 

Lpitcher23 wrote:
Probably shouldn't have taken up 2 spaces but I know the coach and he is disabled and has a handicap sticker on the Jeep. He parks in handicap because of that, not to show off a trailer.

I looked and the only "CRUSH" team that was registered for the entire legacy tournament was from Indiana.

We, GaP, also have a trailer. We use it when we travel when most of the parents/girls fly to the location. One person drives the trailer (usually me) and carries all the team gear so they don't have to check it in @ the airline.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:30 pm 

There was a similar incident at Twin Creeks. A Corvette, that had a car cover on it, with a handicap tag. Someone reported it and the owner literally "jogged" out to move it eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:15 pm 

peashooter wrote:
There was a similar incident at Twin Creeks. A Corvette, that had a car cover on it, with a handicap tag. Someone reported it and the owner literally "jogged" out to move it eventually.

There are definitely people who take advantage. I've known at least one of those, unfortunately. They know someone who helps them get a tag so they can park close even though they'r perfectly healthy. Not cool at all. That said, not all disabilities that justify a space are visible, and it is sometimes not the driver but a passenger. So maybe the guy jogging out was the spouse or friend or parent of a person with a disability. I try not to make assumptions.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:34 am 

I see this at the parks all the time. I saw a certain mom with a handicap placard park in a handicap spot then get out and walk to the field in her high heels, meanwhile a man in a wheelchair with no legs had to get dropped off because there were no open spots. She does this at every tournament I see her team play. At the end of the day these spots are for people that have trouble walking. If the placard is for your passenger, then drop them off and park somewhere else. Even if you have a placard but can walk with no problems, then park somewhere else. If you need to park in a handicap spot because you truly can't walk, then maybe someone else can take the trailer so you are not taking up two spots.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:42 am 

Good morning ABCLAY & friends. I'd like to thank you for the opportunity to respond to your post and everyone else except Lpitcher23 and The 18u Coach.
1st of all, you are correct, my team was not in the tournament. Lost Mountain is our home park. We welcome the Legacy tournament and all of the teams that compete every year with open arms and a smile. I was not there promoting my team, I was there 4 straight days from open to close volunteering my time so you and your parents would have a concession stand!
2nd I didn't just park there, I parked out and walked until I'd have to go run an errand and upon return, had no place else to park. So, using my state afforded right under Ga law, I parked in a handicapped spot and used one for the trailer.
3. Instead of going to the tournament director, I chose to go a step higher and notified the county of the situation and made sure I was still within my legal right to park this way and was given the ok to park there.
4. Finally, if we had more people in this world who minded their own business, we'd be much better off! FYI, I'm 45 years old and due to being hit by a drunk driver and thrown through the windshield of my car, by His Grace; Im still here and after 30 surgeries, Im still able to volunteer my time to help families get something to eat or buy a cold drink. Next time you see something when you are going somewhere, instead of pulling out your smartphone and thinking you're some Johnny on the spot do gooders, maybe you should acknowledge there are times where things aren't what they seem to be and you'll just walk on by and let it go.
Finally, I agree with the gentleman and his post about anonymity so my name is John Clontz and my phone number is 678-294-9800. You may feel free to apologize at any time....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:27 pm 

The taking up of the two spaces with your team’s trailer was really bad optics regardless of the circumstances. You are probably the nicest, most generous person in the world but the way that rant above came off to me was that you are accustomed to bullying people; using your injury/handicap to beat them into submission and elicit sympathy from them so you get your way....no thanks, I'll stand where I'm at. Do you think that getting the "Okay" from the county to block the handicap space really makes it "Okay"? If so, you don't understand the issue at all.

I am as helpful and sensitive as I can be to those with disabilities and handicaps but if you are able enough to work the concession stand for four days straight, open to closing as you declared, it seems to me that you could have found a way to avoid having your teams trailer block the additional handicap space, regardless of whose permission you had to do so. And regular parking wasn't all that bad when I got there at 2 pm. There was lots of room in the areas further away from the gate. Even if you couldn't have fit your trailer and truck in two spaces further away from the gate, you could have certainly parked your trailer away from the gate, un-hooked it, then taken your truck to the entrance and only taken up one handicap space. Yes, doing this would have taken more time and effort but it would not have appeared like a shameless attempt to promote your club to all those in attendance at the expense of taking up additional handicap space.

And as a parent/supporter of a Georgia Softball Player, Georgia softball has been my part-time business for the past 10 years. We've traveled from the east to west coast and stopped in many areas in between trying to show that Georgia Softball (Players and Parents) are as good as you find anywhere.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]